Thursday, February 28, 2008

Planning a daughter's wedding when you are a wedding planner

Someone asked me recently how has it been planning my daughter's wedding since I am a wedding/event planner? My answer: Interesting!
When my older daughter was getting married seven years ago, she and her fiance' wanted a destination wedding. Over 200 guests were invited, all from out-of-town. Since my husband and I were unfamiliar with the local florists, photographers, musicians, caterers, hair and make-up artists, etc. we hired a wedding planner. While checking the references I spoke to a mother of a bride who lived in the area and was planning a small wedding. Curious I asked her, since she lived there, why she would hire a wedding planner? Her answer was "Darling, that day I just want to put my dress on." So did I, I thought! We hired the wedding planner, all the details were taken care of and that day I too just "put my dress on!" Since this will be a larger wedding and I am now familiar and have worked with local florists, photographers, musicians, hair and make-up artists, stationers, rental companies, etc. it has been easier to find exactly what we're looking for. In making these suggestions to my daughter, the bride-to-be, I can rely on my business partner/wedding planner to act as the "buffer." She and I have been the "buffer" for many brides and their mothers as we've coordinated their weddings. Since I do not want to jeopardize our mother/daughter relationship (those of you with daughters can relate) my partner will orchestrate the rehearsal, wedding ceremony and reception and I (once again) will "put my dress on!"

No comments: