Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Jack & Jill shower

Engaged couples today are both involved in their registries. Some choose to have registries at local hardware stores or large chains in addition to department stores and specialty shops.
The first shower is said to have originated in The Netherlands. A father of a bride-to-be was against the marriage of his daughter to a poor miller. He was adamant about not giving the customary dowry. The villagers took pity on the young couple and got together to "shower" the couple with gifts. Now there are many variations on the shower. Here is one of the newest: the Jack and Jill.
First of all, both the bride and groom are celebrated, his and her friends are invited. A theme for gifts could be a "stocking the bar" shower and could include barware and accessories. Another theme could be the "Handyman/Handywoman" shower and could include tools,ladders,and gardening equipment. A more traditional take could be a practical "room by room" theme which would assign a particular room to be furnished: living room (lamps, rugs, pictures), dining room, bedroom, kitchen, bathrooms, barbeque items for the patio. If the couple are sports enthusiats,items for outdoor sports, camping gear, equipment for the sports they enjoy or chairs for spectator sports. Electronics could be another theme and of course luggage for their honeymoon. Has anyone been to a "Jack and Jill" shower? Comments?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a slight problem. My boyfriend's sister is getting married in May in St. Lucia.We are planning on doing a Jack and Jill Bridal Shower in April. My problem is that the other 2 bridesmaids are not including me in the planning of everything. I don't know what to do. I'm not a very confrontational person and I don't want to seem like I am complaining that no one is including me. What do I do?