Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas "grab bag" gift party

I recently attended a party where I was asked to bring a wrapped Christmas gift. I brought my gift and received a ticket in exchange. After we ate, the first ticket was called, a guest went up to a table and took a gift. The next ticket was called and that guest had the option to take a wrapped gift or take the one from the first guest and so on. The last guest had the option of choosing the last wrapped gift or any of the gifts that had been opened. Lots of "stealing" and laughs ensued. How many of you have been to this type of "exchange?" And what is this game/idea called?? No one could agree! I've heard several names for it....what's the consensus? (By the way, I got a very nice array of red scented candles which I will use during the holiday season.)

2 comments:

Susan LaGrande said...

We used to do this at my mother's house on Thanksgiving when there were about two dozen people of all ages in attendance. We called it a "Chinese Auction" but nobody ever knew where the name came from. The twist was that the gifts all were prepared by the hostess in advance, and were carefully selected so that some were girly, some definitely for kids, some silly, some beautiful, etc. It was fun seeing my college-age nephew bargainig with his cousins to get rid of a sparkly scarf and get a Frisbee!

The Party Lady said...

Thanks, Susan. I have heard that name. I hope your nephew was able to make the exchange!!